Do you wander around the grocery store, confused on what to buy, questioning what is really healthy for you?
It’s crazy confusing and I hate watching people, who are really trying to be healthy and wanting to make good choices, fall into marketing traps from misleading food labels, that make you believe a food is healthy, good for you and your family and will help you lose weight, when actually it’s the very thing keeping the weight on and your cravings at an all-time high.
I did a segment on The CW6 last week called: “Are Your Favorite Health Foods Making You Fat”
Watch the segment below to get quick and simple tips on what to kick and what to pick for optimal health and weight loss.
In addition, here are simple tips that will help you navigate the grocery store, choose healthier options and help you to slim down without doing a massive overhaul to your diet:
- Shop the perimeter of the store: You may have heard this a thousand times, but are you doing it, or do you b-line to the packaged goods? Your goal is the fresher the better, we want expirations dates. If something can live in your cupboard for months and years, what is it doing to your body?
- Look for sprouted bread like Ezekiel: Why sprouted? Because this is easier for your body to digest, which means, it isn’t converted as sugar in the body and then stored as fat, it’s actually used for energy. Whole wheat bread has 3 tsp of sugar per slice! (Ouch!)
- Sugar – if sugar is listed in the top 5 ingredients, put the food down. It will cause cravings and is primarily made of sugar.
- Cereal – vitamin enriched is a lie, as is high fiber and whole grain. Many of these companies take the good nutrients out, like Kellogg’s, General Mills and even Khashi…(sorry guys, it’s better but still not ideal) and pump cereals with artificial caramel coloring to look “natural” and chemicals to create a flavor. You get very little nutritional benefit from your morning cereal. This is the time you want protein, not sugar and carbs, which only causes you to want more sugar and carbs.
- Low Carb Foods: In these foods you will see an insanely high amount of fiber. This is not natural fiber, it comes from powders and your body can’t process it, hence the bloating. It’s better to get full fat and have food in your body that is not filled with chemicals and additives causing weight gain and cravings, among other side effect.
- Read your ingredients: Hidden sugars are everywhere! You will see sugar listed as:
Sugar, Corn Syrup, Brown Rice Syrup, Maltodextrin, Fructose, (essentially anything ending in “ose”) Fruit juice, Barley Malt, Beet Sugar, Dextrose, Maltose, Agave, Honey, Brown Sugar, Cane Sugar, (anything that has corn in it) corn sweetener, corn syrup, dextrose, fructose, fruit juice concentrates, glucose, high-fructose corn syrup, invert sugar, lactose, malt syrup, raw sugar, sucrose, sugar syrup, cane crystals, cane sugar, crystalline fructose, evaporated cane juice, corn syrup solids, malt syrup.
If you want to learn more about what foods to buy and why, how to stay out of the fat trap and confusion, join me on FB LIVE on Friday at 2pm PST/3pm CT/5pm EST – this will be an awesome hit of Healthy Happy Hour to start your weekend off right!
I’ll be answering all questions live so be sure to join me, go here now and like the page to get the notification!
I hope this helps, so you have a better idea of what to buy and why.
Let me know if you have any questions, simply click here and ask away 🙂
Have a great day!